(1) Make sure your bees are queen wright. Check to make sure there is brood. This is probably the most important factor.
(2 ) Make sure your bees have enough stores for winter. You need 40 lbs. to 60 lbs. of stores'
(3) Take off excess supers and store them so wax moths cannot get at them. Freeze them or use Para-Moth.
(4) Install entrance reducers or mouse guards to protect your bees.
(5) Check for mites, hive beetles, and other pests and diseases. Treat as needed.
(6) Make sure you equipment is in good shape. If not replace and repair old equipment over winter.
(7) What you do in the fall has a great deal to do with what kind of honey crop you have next spring.